List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Integrating BitTorrent
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2003-06-07 10:46:42

On Saturday 07 June 2003 03:25, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> would make sense. Besides, it's not always a download: you can fire up a
> torrent just for seeding -- and you can't know that beforehand.

Yes. And there are certainly some people who prefer a special dialog instead
of the standard progress dialog to have more control. I am just not sure
whether it should be the default. (One possibility would be to extend the
progress dialog to have an 'advanced' button with KIO specific controls, but
I guess that would be a lot of work...).

> I agree wholeheartedly that we should integrate the download into KDE. I
> just don't see how we would benefit specifically from an *ioslave*. Maybe
> if you give me an example of how it would work, from the moment of the
> downloading of the original .torrent...

It would have to be a KIO Filter, like the bzip2 filter. When the user loads
the torrent the filter needs to be invoked (I dont think that this is
possible yet),  read the .torrent, download the file using BT and then write
the downloaded file.

> >You could, by default, let it run in the background for a while without
> >showing the dialog.
> How would it decide when to end?

That would depend on whatever the BitTorrent guy(s) recommend. Possibilities
would be to let all downloaders finish, or to wait a few minutes. For BT
seeding this would be more useful than people who dont understand BT and just
close the client when they have their file.

bye...