List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Integrating BitTorrent
From:       "Petter E. Stokke" <gibreel () project23 ! no>
Date:       2003-06-06 19:11:06

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 19:41, Tim Jansen wrote:
> I think that an ioslave would make sense, for example you could load files
> directly into the viewer instead of saving them first. BitTorrent may also be
> used for stuff like PDF documents.

BitTorrent is suboptimal for small files. It doesn't really come into
its own until it's dealing with files of 100MB+. Frankly, I'd be pretty
frustrated if I had to watch a KIO progress dialog work its way through
a complete download of that magnitude after opening a torrent in Konqi.

> There is a API, see question 6:
> http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/02/1216202&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=185&tid=95

Bram seems to agree, in his response there, with those of us who think a
KIOslave doesn't make much sense...

> get() could not return any data before the download finished. The
> implementation would probably have to store the retrieved file in a temporary
> file.

I don't really see how that would be more useful than it'd be annoying,
given the time it takes to complete the average BT download. More
importantly, what about seeding? It's not considered good form to end
your torrent session once the file is complete; how would you propose
handling a continued upload with the KIO interface? You can't very well
keep the KIO download dialog open after the download has completed
without seriously clashing with the KIO paradigm...

--
Petter E. Stokke <gibreel@project23.no> http://www.gibreel.net/
PGP key: http://www.gibreel.net/key.asc