List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Integrating BitTorrent
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2003-06-06 17:41:32

On Friday 06 June 2003 01:37, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> >4. With a bittorrent ioslave,  you could in theory copy a torrent to an
> > SMB drive, or an FTP, or a machine via fish... any other protocol
> > supported by kio
> I didn't understand this one. It doesn't make sense to me: do you want to
> copy the transfer while it's happening or the file that is the result of
> the transfer? Or the original .torrent file?

I think that an ioslave would make sense, for example you could load files
directly into the viewer instead of saving them first. BitTorrent may also be
used for stuff like PDF documents.

> >A wrapper around btheadless.py is just a hack solution that doesn't allow
> > most of these advantages to occur.
> I don't consider it a hack. For me, it would be the cleanest solution,
> since it wouldn't involve modifying BitTorrent's sources nor writing our
> own separate implementation.

But you would need to rely on undocumented things that can change anytime for
all feedback, including progress and error messages.

> And since we don't have a libbittorrent to profit from, this is it.

There is a API, see question 6:
http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/02/1216202&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=185&tid=95

There's also an ongoing effort to implement a library in C:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libbt

> How do you propose we listDir()? There is no server to connect to that
> serves files. There are no files to be read.

A KIO protocol does not have to support listDir(), see http.

> Besides, the order of download is not sequential. Thus, I fail to see how
> we could implement get() for an ioslave.

get() could not return any data before the download finished. The
implementation would probably have to store the retrieved file in a temporary
file.

bye...