List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Integrating BitTorrent
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2003-05-28 8:57:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

David Findlay wrote:
>On Wed, 28 May 2003 02:43 pm, Pupeno proclaimed:
>> I didn't test it yet nor I didn't searched for an alternative. But I had
>> this idea long time ago and it's nice to see someone who had it too, but
>> also implemented it and maybe someone was intresting in it, or better,
>> intresting in some kind of KDE integration.
>> http://www.bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/
>> (The idea in short is a general porpouse peer to peer downloader for
>> bandwith saving).
>
>Sounds like a good idea. Integrating it into the kde download manager would
> be the best idea really, although it may have to be a KIOslave for that.

I have tested BitTorrent. The standard download client works. All you have to
do is associate application/x-bittorrent to your btdownloadgui.py.

As for integrating with download manager or ioslaves, I don't think it would
have many benefits. BitTorrent is itself a download manager, since every
download is by construction complete and uncorrupted. Besides, for normal
users, running more than one torrent on a single computer may not be wise.

If this is really wanted, there's btdownloadheadless.py which simply outputs a
lot of information to stdout while doing the downloads, which could be parsed
by another GUI client and then integrated. And there's the option of
modifying the Python scripts as well.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom@mail.com