List:       kde-devel
Subject:    (offtopic) Linux software RAID
From:       Mosfet <dan.duley () verizon ! net>
Date:       2003-05-01 2:56:25

Anyone here mess around with Linux software RAID? I've only used dedicated
RAID controllers but am thinking of playing with this at home on a 2.4.20-ck6
box. I have the following questions:

If I use ext2 and get a couple bad blocks is the data loss any more under
RAID0 than it would be normally? I'm not talking about if the disk goes down
- then your screwed - I'm just talking about a bad block.

Also, is there a performance penalty if you use two disks that are not the
same size if you have identically sized partitions and don't access the other
partitions? I'd think not but am not sure.

Finally, I have a third small disk I can use for swap but your not supposed to
use IDE master/slave configurations if possible for better performance. Since
this would be a third disk would it be better to set up a swap partition on
each of my RAID disks so it will stripe over those instead?

These are just curiosity questions, nothing particularly important, I just
figured I'd ask before setting it up and see other people's experiences.