List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Storing passwords
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-04-30 22:11:17

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 16:11, Anthony J Moulen wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 April 2003 04:57 pm, George Staikos wrote:
> >     That's basically the idea.  I would like to have separate stores for
> > different types of data though.  The idea is to have several standard
> > KDE-wide wallets, and then allow applications to create their own as
> > well. For instance, there could be a "network passwords" wallet, a form
> > data wallet, and a "local passwords" wallet to start.  This way the user
> > doesn't need to unlock his passwords to get form data.
>
> This would be interesting, I would think that it would be a kde wallet
> manger which manages sub wallets.  Any app which belongs to a wallet class
> would be shared.  Apps with special concerns could then require a special
> class onto themselves.  The manager would allow you to group classes under
> a single unlock function.  So I could do email, fish and kdesu passwords
> all with one password.  I also like the relock concept, so while I could
> unlock multiple classes at once, I could go back and lock any one after
> unlocking them. Should also be allowed for a single password, or per-class
> password.

   I'll keep all of this (and the rest) in mind during development.  My
present plan, if all goes well, is to have something usable in June.  I
really don't want to make any mistakes in the design of Kwallet though, so
I'm taking it very very slowly.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/