List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Styles and CO (was: (offtopic) My mom is a born hacker)
From:       Mosfet <dan.duley () verizon ! net>
Date:       2003-04-21 23:51:09

On Monday 21 April 2003 06:22 pm, Gerold J. Wucherpfennig wrote:
> On Sunday 20 April 2003 16:22, Mosfet wrote:
> > Heh, she's no coder ;-) She has had no problems adapting to KDE, tho.
> >
> > Doesn't like either Keramik or Liquid, tho... didn't like how XP looked
> > either. She's using the non-gradient version of my old Highcolor Default
> > style, blah :P
>
> And I wonder why people want such clutter...
> Keep it clean and simple :-)
>
> KDE users would benefit from that...

You talk about two different things here: user interface widgets and
application clutter.

As far as user interface styles I think more than enough people like Liquid
and Keramik to justify their extistance. Not everyone, of course - different
people have different tastes - but a lot of people would sure be disappointed
if there never was a Liquid, (and hence Keramik, etc... ;-) Of course if you
felt the old KDE default was enough and people should just be happy with that
then things like Liquid and Keramik are a waste, but many many people felt
that was lame and wanted more.

I originally wrote both the old KDE default and Liquid so I don't really care,
but personally I couldn't imagine going back to some of my older styles like
the KDE2.0/3.0 default :P It sucked and was lame IMHO, and I wrote the damn
thing ;-)

As for application clutter, strangely enough she hasn't complained about that
at all. You know why? Because the defaults are good and she doesn't have to
screw around with anything. Once we selected a widget style she liked and
configured her email and PPP dialup she hasn't messed with anything since.
She starts up her dialup connection, checks email, and browses web pages by
typing in URLs with Konq. Occassionally she views an attachment. She's had no
problem with KDE. The people who have problems with the user interface are
mostly those who go around playing with stuff and say "gosh - look at all
this stuff", while generally Moms just do what they need to do to see their
email and their son's webpage >:)

...snip...