List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: True transparency ala MacOSX
From:       Vadim Plessky <vplessky () faringosept ! ru>
Date:       2003-03-15 19:54:19

On Thursday 13 March 2003 04:38, Matt Newell wrote:
|  On Thursday 13 March 2003 06:58 am, Michael A Nachbaur wrote:
|  > I wanted to know how difficult it would be to implement true
|  > transparency in applications like Konsole.  From what I can tell, these
|  > applications simply set their background to a region of the desktop
|  > wallpaper, and set some color tinting to their image.  What would it
|  > take to implement true transparency, similar to how MacOSX does?  I
|  > presume OSX uses OpenGL or some other library to set an alpha mask for a
|  > given window (or region of a window), but with it you can see through
|  > one window and into a window behind it.
|  >
|  > This is really convenient, especially when you have a terminal window
|  > open above a web browser or email window; or have multiple overlapped
|  > windows, allowing you to do your work in one window while seeing the
|  > results of a compile or some other long-running process in the
|  > background.
|
|  Well, maybe my post will provide a little more hope than theirs.
|  Currently, X doesn't support translucent windows, but Keith Packard is
|  on top of it, just like he was on top of AA fonts! If you go to
|  http://www.xfree86.org/~keithp/talks/KeithPackardAls2000/index.html
|  http://www.xfree86.org/~keithp/render/
|  http://www.eax.com/render/
|  you can read about the new X rendering model that Keith has been working
| on. It might be a good idea for people to start working on it before it is
| released in X.  So that KDE will be a step ahead:)

I think you need recent XFree86 4.3.0 (or 4.2.99) with RENDER ext. 0.8 or
newer, and Xr/Xc extensions installed on top of it.
Also check:  http://www.xsvg.org

XSVG is capable SVG examples with transparency, so if you implement support
for those APIs on low-level of KDE (QT) libraries, you would get true
transparency support.

|  Can/will the new KPainter be able to take advantage of the Render
| extension, Anyone?

I think you are talking about VPainter here :-))

--

Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net