List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: can't build kcheckpass from kde3.1 on rh7.2?  missing crypt f unct ion?
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2003-02-27 6:25:22

Furnish, Trever G wrote:
>Thiago Macieira [mailto:thiagom@wanadoo.fr] wrote:
>>Furnish, Trever G wrote:
>>>checkpass_etcpasswd.o(.text+0x26): undefined reference to `crypt'
>>>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>
>>You're just missing -lcrypt in the link line.
>
>Thanks - I'll give it a try.  Any thoughts on the "proper" way to get that
>added to the line?  And by "the link line", you're refering to the line that
>begins with /bin/sh ../libtool, correct?

You can compile manually by copy/pasting the link line (yes, the one that
starts with libtool and has -o myprogram) and adding -lcrypt to its end.

The Right Solution (TM) would be to write a test case in the configure script
that detects that crypt(3) is in libcrypt and automatically add -lcrypt to
the automatic library variable or to something like $(LIBCRYPT). That way,
you can use myprogram_LDADD = $(LIBCRYPT) to make sure you link against the
proper libraries.

>Did I mention that my C skill level is pretty low? :-)

As long as your make / Automake level is pretty high, it won't matter ;-)

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom@mail.com