List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Structure in $HOME
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2003-02-03 15:48:18

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
>>You mean /var/tmp, no? Because /tmp is potentially cleared at every
>>bootup. (The FHS even recommends that!) I wouldn't want to lose all
>>my thumbnails every time I shut down my computer.
>
>Or perhaps /var/cache (after all they're caches of pictures).

Oh, boy... here we go again.

We've already had this discussion about temporary files and caches.

Pros for /var/cache:
- consistent naming (caches are in cache)

Cons:
- Linux-specific
- /var/cache isn't 1777, so KDE has to install a 1777 subdirectory there,
under which a per-user[-hostname][-display] subdirectory must be created.

No conclusion has been reached, though, except that neither $HOME nor /tmp
seem to be the adequate places.

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom@mail.com