List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ui enhancements
From:       Laur Ivan <laur.ivan () corvil ! com>
Date:       2003-01-27 10:47:17

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 15:31, Uno Engborg wrote:
> On Friday 24 January 2003 10.53, Laur Ivan wrote:
> > Hi Luke,
> >
> > Ive tried drop shadow (an offset for the halo) but I normally keep small
> > fonts with the desktop icons and sometimes (especially with aa fonts)
> > looks a bit unreadable. also, Troels has a good point with having
> > appropriate colors in the text and background. I think is a no-no for
> > 8-12 px text.
> >
> > However, i'm sure the offset of the shadow can be arranged for a drop
> > shadow via a tab in desktop's config panel containig an offset/angle or
> > something :).
> >
> > I'll check out what's the best way to add the customisation to the
> > desktop config panel. I'm thinking on adding a button for "advanced" and
> > popping up a dialog. An alternative would be to extend the "Appearance"
> > tab in the desktop config.
> >

> Drop down shadows and halos looks very slick and I'm sure this would be great
> if you have some background image where the color happen to be the same as
> the text color in some places, at least provided you have your fonts are
> large enough.  But I don't think it increases readability in other cases.
>
> So I think the better solution would be to just let users select backgrounds
> where they can read the text, or we would, like you suggest, have to make
> this configurable. And there already are a too many things to configure in
> KDE
As Waldo was suggesting, this may replace the solid background rectangle
behind text, which is a checkbox.

> We just have had a very heated discussion on the kde-usability list on adding
> more configurability to KDE and most people there would say no to add any
> single more thing to configure almost regardless how useful or slick  it
> would be, as it would add complexity to an already  complex system. In this
> case the readability problem can be solved just by using another background.

Heh, I'm sure by now you have loads of replies on this statement :).
Although, I have to admit I agree that KControl is a bit stuffed with
options. Greg's e-mail with the 3 options (advanced==all options,
intermediate= most options, beginner == newbie options) looks the most
promising to me :)

> Regards
> Uno Engborg

Laur Ivan                                       Tel  : +353-1-6674336
Software Design Engineer                        eMail:
laur.ivan@corvil.com
Corvil Ltd.