List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Notify all networked applications of pending network disconnect?
From:       Richard Moore <rich () xmelegance ! org>
Date:       2003-01-26 11:49:58

Volker Augustin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> from time to time I shutdown my internet connection. However, this leads to
> problems with applications that currently have an online connection such as
> kopete and applications that open network connections regularly but freak out
> when no such connection is possible (such as kmail - popping up these
> annoying messages telling me that the server cannot be reached).
>
> What I would like to have (integrated in SuSE's kinternet for example) is a
> way to notify all applications that the network WILL go down. I would expect
> kopete and ksirc to disconnect, kmail to terminate all imap connections etc.
>
> Is this already possible somehow (using dcop for example)?
>
> Volker

This has been discussed before, and the problem is quite complex. The
main problem is that it needs to be specific to a particular network
interface. To use your example, you don't want an imap connection to a
server on your lan to be terminated if you close a PPP link to your ISP.
The situation is even more complex for machines with several network
cards (or multiple addresses using IP aliases).

Rich.