List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ui enhancements
From:       Greg Turpin <gregturp () attbi ! com>
Date:       2003-01-26 5:05:16

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

>Think about why one thinks more configurability is making it more
>complex.
>My theory: Because one often has no idea where to change what. This
>happens when one is not playing with the settings but having a _special
>need_, like changing from single click to double click (it's in because
>of freedom, too).
>The solution cannot be to restrict configurability in general but to
>develop a better (as in straigther) access to the wanted setting switch.
>
>No idea right now how to do this...
>
>Friedrich

I think the solution is to use a separate "TweakKDE" application.  Most
users don't even bother with poking
around.  They want to change simple things - their wallpaper, fonts, and
colors.  Simple things should be
simple to do - in the Control Panel.  The "rare" things that only power
users would ever want to change should
be in TweakKDE.
The solution is definitely not to use an "Advanced" button or tab.  What
the heck does "Advanced" mean?
If I click on an "Advanced" button I have no clue what options are going
to be available to me.