List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ui enhancements
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2003-01-26 2:16:29

On Saturday 25 January 2003 23:06, Michael Kreitzer wrote:
> This has got to be the most rediculous thing I have ever heard.  To think
> someone would even think that not adding configurability is a "Good Thing"
> 'cause it might step on some poor newbies toes is absurd.  Create a button
> and label it "Advanced."  Problem solved.

"Advanced" options solve only one of the configuritis problems: confusing
newbies with complicated options. It doesn't help the other problem, that
with an increasing amount of options it is getting harder and harder to find
what you want.
It should be obvious that is is easier to find X when you can configure 3
different things than when you have 100 to chose from.

Each configuration option decreases the usability of the configuration dialog.
It may improve the usability of the rest of the app, so it's up the the GUI's
designer to find out whether the trade-off is a good one.

bye..