List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ui enhancements
From:       Christian Parpart <cparpart () surakware ! net>
Date:       2003-01-25 16:58:28

On Saturday 25 January 2003 4:31 pm, Uno Engborg inspired the electrons to
say:
> On Friday 24 January 2003 10.53, Laur Ivan wrote:
> > Hi Luke,
> >
> > Ive tried drop shadow (an offset for the halo) but I normally keep small
> > fonts with the desktop icons and sometimes (especially with aa fonts)
> > looks a bit unreadable. also, Troels has a good point with having
> > appropriate colors in the text and background. I think is a no-no for
> > 8-12 px text.
> >
> > However, i'm sure the offset of the shadow can be arranged for a drop
> > shadow via a tab in desktop's config panel containig an offset/angle or
> > something :).
> >
> > I'll check out what's the best way to add the customisation to the
> > desktop config panel. I'm thinking on adding a button for "advanced" and
> > popping up a dialog. An alternative would be to extend the "Appearance"
> > tab in the desktop config.
>
> Drop down shadows and halos looks very slick and I'm sure this would be
> great if you have some background image where the color happen to be the
> same as the text color in some places, at least provided you have your
> fonts are large enough.  But I don't think it increases readability in
> other cases.
>
> So I think the better solution would be to just let users select
> backgrounds where they can read the text, or we would, like you suggest,
> have to make this configurable. And there already are a too many things to
> configure in KDE
>
> We just have had a very heated discussion on the kde-usability list on
> adding more configurability to KDE and most people there would say no to
> add any single more thing to configure almost regardless how useful or
> slick  it would be, as it would add complexity to an already  complex
> system. In this case the readability problem can be solved just by using
> another background.

Damn, why not just adding this feature as to be configurable. I do believe I
am not the only one wanting this to be official in kde (so that they don't
need to patch their sources every and every update again).

Although, while fully agree on the usability site, that having less
configuation switches is easier, but do we really wanna create a second ms
windows? probably GNU/Windows? This even lets the user need to configure
almost nothing. -- just because of usability, to really let the stupidest guy
rock the desktop (without knowing anything), are we really so deep down to
produce a fully fledged KDE (just, just without that configurablility the
power user/coder wants / or even needs to?)....

Well, I'd propose to check this in, add a switch at "Desktop / Appereance" and
let it be disabled by default. This would let the chance to both groups (I
mentioned). the one who wnats it, and the other one who even do know know
what they're doing.

Thanks for reading,
Christian Parpart.