List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ui enhancements
From:       Laur Ivan <laur.ivan () corvil ! com>
Date:       2003-01-24 10:01:56

Hi Greg,

The screens look really nice, that's true. But I think the text is large
enough (16, 20pt ?) for the shadow to make them readable. However, in a
case of 1-12 pt fonts (like windows' (normal) desktop fonts), i think
that a shadow is not helping as much as a halo.

... personally I was thinking of a hard outline (just surrounding the
text with a black/wery low alpha border) but I think a halo gives a
better look. Also, the halo's params will be (3 params) adjustable so
everyone can create their own contrast levels (eg. a drop shadow is more
faded than a halo afaik)

Cheers,

Laur

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 06:47, Greg Day wrote:
> On Thursday 01-23-2003 8:11 pm, Troels Tolstrup wrote:
> > But could you read white text on a white background by using the
> > dropshaddow?
>
> Yes.  Have a look at any of the tons of screenshots of OSX from people using
> white/snow colored backgrounds.  The text is very defined by the shadows.
> While I'm certainly no Apple fanatic, they have done a lot of research into
> usability and have very good ideas about this kind of thing.
>
> I found a few screenshots showing how the text looks on light colored and
> white backgrounds under OSX.  The shadow appears to cast straight back and
> down, with some fuzziness to both the left and right sides instead of having
> more shadow to one side than another.  This makes the text stand out more
> sharply.  Check the shots:
>
> http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13163&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
>
> http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9000&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
>
> http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12512&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
>
> http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13214&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
>
> http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13211&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
>
> You're welcome to disagree however that the icon text in these shots is
> ugly/unreadable...  but I like it and would appreciate input from others on
> this as well.
>
> cheers,
> greg

Laur Ivan                                       Tel  : +353-1-6674336
Software Design Engineer                        eMail:
laur.ivan@corvil.com
Corvil Ltd.