List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ui enhancements
From:       Greg Day <gregday () ecsis ! net>
Date:       2003-01-24 6:47:39

On Thursday 01-23-2003 8:11 pm, Troels Tolstrup wrote:
> But could you read white text on a white background by using the
> dropshaddow?

Yes.  Have a look at any of the tons of screenshots of OSX from people using
white/snow colored backgrounds.  The text is very defined by the shadows.
While I'm certainly no Apple fanatic, they have done a lot of research into
usability and have very good ideas about this kind of thing.

I found a few screenshots showing how the text looks on light colored and
white backgrounds under OSX.  The shadow appears to cast straight back and
down, with some fuzziness to both the left and right sides instead of having
more shadow to one side than another.  This makes the text stand out more
sharply.  Check the shots:

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13163&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9000&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12512&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13214&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13211&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

You're welcome to disagree however that the icon text in these shots is
ugly/unreadable...  but I like it and would appreciate input from others on
this as well.

cheers,
greg