List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-3.1.1 under RedHat 8.0
From:       Olaf Mueller <muellero () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-12-24 9:34:33

Gustavo E Tenrreiro wrote:

> [...] How did the upgrade to redhat 8.0 work for you? any
> weird stuff? What benefits did you get from the upgrade?
The update works for me great after all. But if you do this on a server
with several services running on, you have to know that the config
files can change and their paths too.

For example on RedHat 8.0 sendmail.cf isnīt longer under /etc but under
/etc/mail. Of course this makes more sense, but after years running
sendmail with a sendmail.cf under /etc, you are a bit surprised. ;-)

So I've done this update without updating the following software. I
will do this later, without the automatism of the RedHat update.
sendmail; sendmail-cf; inn; inews; bind; bind-utils;
caching-nameserver; squid;

Another problem are the new gcc and glibc packages from RedHat 8.0. All
your software self-compiled before updating the system works under
RedHat 8.0. But after the update you aren't able to build up on these
self-compiled software. For example Qt and Kde, the problem I'm
running in. I've compiled Qt under RedHat 7.1, but after updating my
system, I'm not able to install new self-compiled kde software cause
of Qt and Kde building with another gcc version. Of course I know
about this problem, but I don't know about the trouble getting when
trying to compile qt-3.1.1 under RedHat 8.0.

        Olaf