List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: More kdebase make errors - ksysgaurd & strlcpy
From:       Jonathan Singer <jsinger () genome ! wi ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2002-12-12 15:54:21

I was going to respond by private email but since there have been a lot of
"CVS won't compile!" posts lately, maybe it deserves wider distribution..

> Perhaps my first question should be: when I am trying to compile something
> like kdelibs and kdebase, and make breaks down repeatedly at some particular
> point, what is the proper course of action? Should I try to find out who the
> maintainer of some particular componet is and email them? Should I mail the
> list? Should I stop trying and buzz off?

(We're talking about a reasonably normal Linux system, right? If you're on a
commercial Unix or something like that, modify this advice to quickly report
something you suspect is a portability problem.)

Lots of people compile from CVS every day. In general, if something from CVS
doesn't compile, it's one of three things:

1) A transient bug that wil quickly get caught. Wait a few hours or a day
and update and try again. This will fix most of them. Don't bother telling
anyone about it -- if you're curious, you may want to go to one of the KDE
channels on irc.openprojects.net and asking if others are seeing it. Also,
do a 'make clean' or 'make -f admin/Makefile cvs-clean'.

2) If it's still there after a few days, it's probably specific to you.
Probably you need to delete old moc or object files or something like that.
You can ask on the list, but I usually wait for someone else to do it for me
(as you just did with ksysguard, which I've had problems with for days.)
Again, try IRC first.

3) A real problem. If it persists, report it to the list or to the
maintainer.

In the meantime, compile with 'make -k' and install what you can. You can
'make -k install' too, but it's probably safer to edit the Makefile to
remove the offending directory.