List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Testers wanted for kdenonbeta/konstruct
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-12-11 1:04:09

Stephan Binner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> "Konstruct" is a build toolset for installing KDE 3.1rc5 plus atm KOffice,
> KDevelop and Quanta from the released source tarballs. It downloads, con-
> figure, compiles and installs them with a single "make install" command.

> (probably a temporary location) or you can get it from CVS with this line:
>
>  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.kde.org:/home/kde co kdenonbeta/konstruct
>
> I'm interested to hear opinions about "Konstruct" and which bugs it has.

It appears to me that this addresses mostly the simple part of installing from source.

The hard part is installing all the necessary libraries and making sure that the configure
scripts find all of them.  In regard to the second question: this has improved, the current
install scripts are able to find (on my system) everything except for Java (and the PNG
problem).  The major problem for most people remains: you need to install a lot of libraries to
install KDE from source -- or if you have installed the libraries with RPMs, you need to install
a lot of 'devel' packages to build it.

--
JRT