List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: beginner alert
From:       Anders Lund <anders.lund () lund ! tdcadsl ! dk>
Date:       2002-12-11 0:30:33

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 00:54, Andy Gill wrote:
> i'm just starting to write my first kde app, and i want it to be
> plugin-based. my question is: is the kparts::plugin stuff a good way to
> do this or is it not meant for this and i should be writing my own plugin
> system?

KParts::Plugin is for kpart plugins (suprise :), so if you impelemnt a kpart
you allready have a plugin system at hand. Even if you don't, looking at it
won't hurt.

Except for that, look in the source of any application using plugins to check
how it is done.

In kate, we use a base class for the plugins providing access to the
interfaces needed, and have a pluginmanager to handle loading/unloading. We
support integrating the plugin's (optional) configure dialog pages into the
main configuration dialog. The code is in kdebase/kate.

-anders