List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-12-06 23:19:44

Julien Olivier wrote:
> I think the main problem is that, on Windows (I don't know about Mac), the
> base path for any app is the desktop whereas on Linux, it's ~/.
>
> Imagine how users would feel if each windows apps defaulted to c:\documents
> and settings\bob for saving documents... They would complain.
>
> So, 2 solutions: either fix EVERY app on linux to save in ~/Desktop or make ~/
> == ~/Desktop

I agree 100% with the problem.  But, there is a better solution.

Make it possible to configure the default (or current) directory that
will apply to all applications opened using the KDE desktop.  The user
can set this to $HOME, Documents, Desktop or something else as they choose.

Basically, it should be, or replace, the current Documents path.

This can be done with a script, but it is awkward and a configuration
nightmare.

--
JRT