List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2002-12-03 19:16:30

Manuel Amador wrote:
>> Putting everything on the desktop is IMHO not a very good idea for the
>> simple fact, and it has been pointed out before int this thread, that you
>> can't reach the desktop when it's cluttered with windows but let's not go
>> into that right now :-)
>
>Yes you can.  Were $HOME your desktop, you single click the home icon on
>KDE's taskbar.  See?

Interestingly, I do have a house button on my taskbar, which allows me to
quickly access my home dir. Not that there's anything interesting in there...

Actually, I will make this my final message to this thread. It seems to me
that you are fighting almost everyone on this subject. Yes, we are
experienced users who don't like their habits changed and who think their
preferences work for everyone. But, in a sense, the same could be said of
you.

Don't take me wrong. Let me explain: I just think that each and everyone of us
discussing this seem to not want to let go of their opinions. We've seen so
far that the discussion has earned a hundred messages and we're no close to
coming to a conclusion than we were the first day.

So I'll repeat what I said in one of my first messages: let this be handled by
the usability people. Let them do polls and studies on what the users would
want best -- and how to deal with the dissatisfied users.

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom@mail.com