List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2002-12-03 19:09:06

Manuel Amador wrote:
>> Well, on the desktop, you'd have only "not important" files because the
>> important files start with a "." and, so, they are hidden. Except the
>> "Mail" folder. And that's why I'm also fighting to have it renamed
>> ".mail" by default.
>
>Which is a reasonable course of action, but a better one would be
>storing mail messages as single files (MH) by default, so users could
>see their subjects, double click them and have a mail reader window from
>their favorite MUA open.  Plus they woul be able to use standard file
>search tools to locate them, instead of getting an aberrant single file
>with tons of e-mail messages.

That means throwing away our compatibility with other mail readers, like
Netscape/Mozilla, pine, elm, mutt, etc., that store their mailboxes in
~/Mail. You're asking to sacrifice functionality.

Besides, I think the default folder format for KMail is Maildir, so newly
created folders will have the one file-one e-mail paradigm. And users do know
how to create folders, move e-mails and some even know how to set up filter
rules.

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom@mail.com