List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: a crazy proposal
From:       Jason Mott <jmott () jasonmott ! com>
Date:       2002-12-02 23:31:50

On Sunday 01 December 2002 11:27 pm, Michael Kreitzer wrote:

> > > What about using the KDE C bindings?  I'm not a kde coder (yet) but
> > > would those do the trick?
> >
> > AFAIK there are no KDE C bindings. Beside that, it is unlikely that you
> > can find a KDE developer who doesn't prefer C++. Those who like pure C
> > usually become Gnome devs.
>
> There is a qtc and kdec directory in the kde bindings cvs tree... they are
> empty however.  Are they automatically created or are they just not
> supported?  I always thought KDE C bindings for quick and dirty work would
> be nice..  besides I don't use KDE because it has a C++ API anymore than I
> don't use gnome because it has a C API.  There are C++ interfaces to gtk,
> and it'd be nice if the kde/qt c bindings were to become a reality if they
> aren't already.  I use KDE because it's simply the best =).

There shouldn't be a need for C bindings, C++ is backwards compatible with C.
All C code can compile with a C++ compiler, and C libraries can link with C++
code. If you wanted a C++ interface to some C code, all you'd have to do is
encapsulate the code into a class (or encapsulate calls to the C code in a
class).