List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Update, Concurrent KDE Users
From:       Dave Richards <drichard () largo ! com>
Date:       2002-12-02 19:13:35

I'm sending this message from outside the subscribed list.  I want to
get the information archived into this list in case it helps someone in
the future trying to solve the same problem.

I sent a message about 2 weeks ago about KDE 3.0 running on the 2.4
kernel.  After many helpful messages, including one from Alan Cox, the
problem is that KDE 3 uses threads and the 2.4 kernel has a limitation
in the memory space assigned for the threads.  When you get 91
concurrent KDE 3 sessions started no more thread space is available and
the additional logins will fail.

This has been fixed in the 2.5 development series and if anyone else is
having the same problem that is one solution that you might want to
consider.  It is our goal to keep our servers under support contracts,
so we were unable to get too "experimental" because custom kernel builds
would not be supported.

I'm hopeful that RedHat will pick up 2.5/2.6 kernels in the first half
of next year and we will once again try and upgrade.

We ended up doing a rollback to KDE 2.2 which has been rock solid for
us, and allows over 200 concurrent users on one server.

Hope this helps, and thanks to all who sent messages.

Dave Richards
City of Largo, FL
Systems Administrator
--