List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       Andrew <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2002-11-30 8:47:47

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 10:30 am, Manuel Amador wrote:
> > I wouldn't say this is a desktop issue. I would say that this is a $HOME
> > issue. $HOME is the root of all your files, which means that there would
> > be things in there that a user might not want to be on the desktop.
>
> Cite one example that isn't aberrant behavior from applications.  Just
> one would do.

Well how about a users data files. You assume that a user wants all their
documents, saved web pages etc on the desktop and that is simply not true.
Yet the majority of apps (kde/gnome/others) default to save data in the home
directory and load it from the same place. If home is the desktop then it
will VERY QUICKLY get filled up. Or are you suggesting that users MUST adopt
a new operating paradigm of *always* switching to a documents folder to
save/load to go with your home/desktop? . Even if that is preferable (and I
do it) it should not be forced on people, that is what the home dir is for;
to store a users data and his personal config files.

The second example is what Thiago said and you yourself agreed. You dont want
your home config files on the desktop invisible or not. What happens when a
newbie plays with ControlCentre and sees "Hide Hidden files on Desktop" and
thinks what are they and turns it off.  Then they see all these files on the
desktop and start deleting them. If they were hiding they can't be important
right?

> It's four operations against five.  Less operations = more speed.

Thats not true. If you are going to change your desktop path then you can
change your links as well so that file manager opens appropriately. Trying to
use trick logic like that is sneaky and does nothing for your arguments. Both
systems are exactly equal when they are modified consistently

--
Regards,
andrew