List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       Manuel Amador <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2002-11-29 17:54:31

> On Fredag den 29. november 2002 17:56, Julien Olivier wrote:
> Well, i believe im a user too, even though im a programmer.
>
> I think it was an interesting read, but i still think the idea is
> flawed.
>
> Abstracting the filessytem is a good idea, but i do not like the $HOME
> is desktop idea at all. Try finding something on the desktop while you
> have serveral programs open.
Logical fallacy.

Assume your desktop is cluttered with windows:

Case: Desktop: ~/Desktop:
Open a file on the desktop: Open file manager window, go to desktop,
open file.
Open a file on the homedir: Open file manager window, open file
-Five operations

Case: Desktop: ~/:
Open a file on the desktop: Open file manager window, open file.
Open a file on the homedir: Open file manager window, open file
-Four operations

Plus the increased probability of already having a file manager window
open to your home directory.

> Or do you actually expect one to minimize
> their windows, or make sure they dont occupy the entire desktop?

Read before.

Besides, there is a valid ADDITIONAL tip: using the minicli to be able
to type desktop folder/item names and have them run on ENTER.

> I think a much better solution would be to hide everything below $HOME
> by default, but have easy access shortcuts in relevant places so its
> still easy to go to /. (and of course an option to turn it off for
> those of us who actually think the unix file system is superior to
> everything else out there that we have seen, and who just want to see
> it as it is)

You're proposing a bug to fix another bug.

> This way you don't force working in a specific way on the user, and you
> don't have to deal with all the problems that storing things on the
> desktop gives, not to mention that a lot of people prefer having an
> empty desktop.

Then have an empty home folder, except for one folder (Data).  Or change
your preferences to have a different Desktop than the home folder.  But
let the default be the one that SPEEDS UP working with the computer
(desktop/homedir the same, as I showed earlier)

> Do you think it was without reason that microsoft decided to go away
> from accessing things from the desktop after having used it since 95?

Because C:\Windows\Desktop really broke the system/UI separation.

> (a deafult windows xp only got a trashcan on the desktop, everything
> else, like my documents, is accessed through the start menu).

I'm not saying that the desktop should be where everything is forced to
be.  I'm saying the desktop should be able to contain the home dir.
Everything else is still one click away (Open file manager window, or
maybe quickbrowser)