List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Encoding problems with i18n() and kdbgstream (KDE 3.1rc2)
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2002-11-29 16:35:04

Nicolas Goutte wrote:
>And yes the message must always be in UTF-8 to be able to be translated.
>However, this rarely used as English fits in ASCII.
>
>On Friday 29 November 2002 15:47, Manuel Fierlbeck wrote:
>> KAboutApplication demands translatable strings to be passed in UTF-8; it
>> seems that every message to be translated has to be in UTF-8 (I couldn't
>> test it, see below). Therefore, I'd be forced to encode Umlauts in string
>> literals manually, an effort that makes my approach pointless.

Another solution would be to save your whole file in UTF-8 instead. That way,
your strings containing non-ASCII characters would be encoded to the correct
values, while you would see the correct accented letters and such. If you
were to see the file in another editor that doesn't support UTF-8, you'd see
garbled accents.

Seeing as the code itself is contained in ASCII, that shouldn't be a problem.

>> Furthermore, the "Add Translation..." dialog in KDevelop doesn't even
>> offer en_US (only en_GB) as translation target, seemingly it supposes that
>> every application is written in English.

That much is true for KDE itself, but I don't think it should be imposed in
other projects. So, en_US should be a valid translation target, IMO. Of
course, if you write your strings and comments in German, you can't expect
much help from people who don't understand German, but it's a decision you
should be making.

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom@mail.com