List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: FAM and 3.1rc3
From:       Michael Kreitzer <kreitma () wku ! edu>
Date:       2002-11-28 22:58:19

On Thursday 28 November 2002 07:16 am, Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> On Thursday 28 November 2002 09:46, Michael Kreitzer wrote:
> > I've noticed with FAM enabled in kde 3.1rc3 none of the io slaves seem to
> > realize when fam is inappropriate... I got stuck with an unresponsive
> > system until I figured out FAM was using 100% cpu while KDE tried to use
> > it over 3 sftp connections and 2 smb connections.... this should not
> > happen. My question is... is this a KDE bug or a FAM bug or a FAM
> > misconfiguration on my part?
>
> Hi,
> I really don't understand the problem you have.
> FAM (better: the KDirWatch class) is *not* used by any KIO slave at all, so
> no io slave can be the one to blame. The reason is that the KIO protocol
> doesn't allow for any events to be sent to applications.
>
> Why are you thinking that your FAM problem has anything to do with your
> sftp and smb connections?
>
> Josef
'cause it all starts when I click on the shortcuts on my desktop that are
URL's for either sftp connections or smb connections.  That's when the fam
binary itself starts using 100% CPU... I don't kno wmuch about kde's
architecture so I'm sure it could be something else... I'm just fishing for
answers.