List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE-3.1rc3 kdebase compile/configure problem
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-11-21 0:38:50

John Gluck wrote:

> I have what came with X.

The online info at KDE indicates that you should upgrade to the current
version of FreeType2.

>>There should be a file: "freetype-config" in a "bin/" directory
>>somewhere.  Do you have that?
>>

> Nope not with the X version of freetype..

That is the problem ( p > 90%).  Are you certain that it isn't in:
"/usr/X11R6/bin/", it should be.

I think that the KDE configure file expects to find it.

It came with the binary package from xfree86.org, where did you get XFree86.

>>In any case, if you are building from source, you should install the
>>latest FreeType2 from source with the hinting enabled as explained in
>>the README.UNIX file.  Get it here:

>> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/freetype/freetype-2.1.2.tar.bz2?download

 > OK but what are the advantages??? I have X 4.2.

The newer version probably works better.  And, the hinting is supposed
to render the fonts better in smaller sizes.

>>and remove any other version's files that may be lurking in the
>>"/usr/X11/" tree.  This is a known bug which you can read about on
>>FreeType's web site.
>>
>>You should also install FontConfig:

<SNIP>

> Again, OK but why??? What's it for???

If you install FontConfig, you shouldn't have any further problems with
the XftConfig file which it replaces.

<SNIP>

> I think it should produce an error message. Then I wouldn't get heroic ;-)

Yes, when it couldn't find: freetype-config it should have printed an
ERROR MESSAGE.  Person that wrote the configure stuff, please copy. :-)

NOTE: despite several wrong turns, I have now managed to install all of
this stuff from source including Pango.

So, everybody, please disregard previous instructions.  I will post a
HOWTO in the near future.

--
JRT