List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-3.1.0 & Xft-2
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () virtualartisans ! com>
Date:       2002-11-19 6:36:36

Hi,

 Yesterday I've decided to try out freetype2, fontconfig and co. instead of
the standard xft (xft1) that came with X 4.2.0 and I got an aliased desktop.
:-( The font I use is Arial, and I have reinstalled all TTF fonts after
installing the new font engines. I've also removed the old xft stuff (headers
and libraries) and the libXft.so links to libXft.so.2. I used the code from
the Xft and fontconfig dir of the fcpackage.2_0. There were no compilation
problems, QT said that Xft is available. I see it "working", meaning by this
that the duplicate font names (with [Monotype], [Utf] ending) have
disappeared, and Xftconfig is not used anymore (I know this, because I had an
error in that which was printed out on every application's startup), but it
is ugly. How can it get to work correctly? I don't really like the idea to
switch back to XFT1, once I installed the XFT2...

Any idea?

Andras