List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: svg crystal?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-11-12 21:09:51

On Tuesday 12 November 2002 10:46 pm, Nikolas Zimmermann wrote:
|  On Tuesday 12 November 2002 18:25, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
|  > As far as I know, the base for Crystal are SVG pictures. But KDE still
|  > can nly use PNG icons.
|  >
|  > Have a nice day/evening/night!
|
|  No, we can also render SVGs since quite some months :)
|  We prerender the icons and commit the generated ones, for
|  speed reasons. (PNG loading is faster than SVG rendering...).

I believe it's possible to reduce this gap.
I don't know what is typical time to load PNG, but good SVG icon can be
rendered in less than 0.5 sec.  I think I have posted some exact figures for
KSVG and librsvg2 on <kde-cafe> list.

Besides, taking into consideration Carl Worth's efforts (Xr, Xc, xsvg/libsvg),
we can expect rendering tasks accelerated in hardware pretty soon.

All people interested in those technologies are invited to subscribe to XSVG
mailing list:
and discuss rendering issues (and SVG rendering in X) there.

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons