List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Issue N9813]  XIM Server Support
From:       qt-bugs () trolltech ! com
Date:       2002-11-06 9:12:36

On Sunday, 27 Oct 2002 13:26 Jon Keating wrote:
> Hello,

Hello Jon,

> This weekend I was trying to setup my system to support typing in
> Japanese characters (kanzi, katakana, and hiragana). I setup
> everything using kinput2 as my XIM server. But *every* Qt application
> crashed on the instantiating of XIM server. Upon further
> investigation, every application on my system crashes when I try to
> use XIM. I saw GTK+ has a configure option to disabled the
> instantiating function calls. I edited src/kernel/qt_x11.h and
> commented out the line that says:
>
> #define USE_X11R6_XIM
>
> and recompiled.  Now I have the support I wanted:
> http://www.ca.licq.org/~jon/japanese_licq.jpg
>
> Perhaps this can be made a configure option as well for Qt? My xserver
> is XFree86, version 4.2.0.

This is quite confusing.  I have testing input methods quite a bit on
X11, and have never seen this kind of crash with XFree86 before.  I
have seen this kind of crash on Solaris though, and a colleague of mine
tells me that some people have reported such crashes in some KDE
applications.

I will see about making this an option in a future version of Qt.  If
these kind of problems continue to be prominent, I most likely will
change USE_X11R6_XIM to be off by default, and turn it on with a
configure knob.

Thanks for the report. Let us know if you need anything else :)

--
Bradley T Hughes
Trolltech AS, Waldemar Thranes gt. 98, N-0175 Oslo, Norway