List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Tab-Close button like in mozilla
From:       Zack Rusin <zack () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-05 22:00:54

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 16:32, Troy Corbin Jr. wrote:
> I've been working on a similar widget set, though it does use the
> current QTabWidget:
>
> http://knights.sourceforge.net/shots/ss06.jpg
>
> It uses the 'Close' icon from the user's selected icon set for a
> consistent look. It also includes a "Grip" which the user can drag to
> organize the tabs into different top-level window. ( ie. Dragging a
> tab onto another tab will cause it to move to the destination's
> QTabWidget, while dragging it anywhere else will create a new
> top-level window w/ QTabWidget for it to be attached to. ) The
> TabManager class is used to organize everything, and it saves the
> widget's geometry on close.

Great work. Unfortunately this won't bring us too far forward. Problems
with QTabWidget go beyond the close button dilemma. Different projects
need different things : Kopete needs to change the color of the tabs in
the tabbar, Konqueror needs the ability to add/change widgets to tabs
on the fly, etc. Those things can't be done with QTabWidget. And
although I like your idea with the close button a lot it probably
wouldn't work all that well within Konqueror as it takes some space
away from the main tab widget, limiting the viewing area.

Zack

--
Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't
fallen asleep yet.