List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Konsole, Xft2 and gcc version
From:       Pavel Troller <patrol () sinus ! cz>
Date:       2002-09-14 6:52:19

Hi!
  I've made an interesting experience yesterday...
  Formerly, I've updated my XFree to the CVS version, which uses Xft2. Then,
I've updated my qt with Keith Packard's patch for Xft2. From that time, I
had a big problems with konsole - it simply didn't work well, text updating
was ceasing and I had to do some tricks to revive it like obscuring/unobscuring
and others. It was described formerly here and nobody gave me a hint, what to
do. I was using gcc 3.1.
  Yesterday, I've upgraded my gcc to 3.2, recompiled qt and all the KDE, and...
konsole *works*! I'm very happy because I like it and I was unhappy when I had
even to use xterm from case to case...
  All the compiling environment/options/etc remained the same, just the
compiler changed.
  I'm of course not sure, but there MAY be a bug in gcc 3.1 which compiles
faulty code under certain conditions.
  Or... maybe somebody just fixed this konsole problem yesterday ? I was
updating all the packages before the recompilation, however I'm doing it daily
and I didn't see any substantial changes in konsole code for some time...

                                  With regards, Pavel Troller