List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: A proposal to deal with the current RedHat situation
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2002-09-03 17:25:03

> > they are some scripts that we made to automate the process, no we are not
> > giving the scripts away, but that is hardly relevant to building the

> I'd be against the use of proprietary tools to develop and distribute KDE.
> We'd be in the same position from the pre-GPL Qt days: people will bitch
> and if you would decide to stop offering the service or refuse to accept
> fixes/patches we need or specs for specific distributions (what if you team
> up with one of them?) we would be screwed.

I'm imagining they have a set of scripts that:

1. Keep many distributions installed side-by-side on a single machine by (in
order of increasing hassle to implement)
- using bootloader switching with different root partitions, or using
runlevel-1 remounting with busybox,
- using usermode linux,
- using chroot environment for each distro

2. Automate invoking ./configure; ./make or rpmbuild -ba in any distribution
by using the mechanism of (1) to start the distro, and then actually invoking
and logging the build progress.

I don't think there's anything special about their scripts, apart from the
fact that they automate the building, and make it possible on a single
machine for many distributions. I'm quite sure that, given the .spec files,
anybody can just make exactly same packages by building them on a
fresh-installed distribution, as TheKompany can on their Jane machine.

This isn't about "use of proprietary tools to develop and distrbute KDE". This
is about "use of propertary scripts to manage 40 diffierent distros on one
machine to build kde packages in those distros without having to have 40 pc's
rummaging around".

I'd say that a bootloader- or runlevel-1 based thingo can be made by a
reasonably skilled script coder in about 2-3 days (save for time needed to
actually install the distros).

Cheers, Kuba Ober