List:       kde-devel
Subject:    audiocd and ogg-vorbis BUG: 45352 and more
From:       Christoph Bartoschek <bartoschek () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-09-01 16:35:43

Hi,

The configure script of kdemultimedia does not recognize the ogg vorbis
version correctly for audiocd.

Audiocd expects HAVE_VORBIS set to 2 or higher for older versions than RC3. I
have the final version but HAVE_VORBIS is set to 2. That's why the bitrate
parameters set in kcmaudiocd are not used.

Manually setting HAVE_VORBIS to 1 convinces audiocd to use these settings. But
encoding does not work because of this codeblock

        while(vorbis_analysis_blockout(&d->vd,&d->vb)==1) {
/* Support ancient libvorbis (< RC3).  */
#if HAVE_VORBIS >= 2
	  vorbis_analysis(&d->vb,NULL);
          /* Non-ancient case.  */
          vorbis_bitrate_addblock(&d->vb);

          while(vorbis_bitrate_flushpacket(&d->vd, &d->op)) {
#else
          vorbis_analysis(&d->vb,&d->op);
          /* Make a lexical block to place the #ifdef's nearby.  */
          if (1) {
#endif

I am not an ogg expert. Therefore I looked at encode.c of oggenc and saw the
line vorbis_analysis(vb,NULL);. That's why i tried to change
#if HAVE_VORBIS >= 2 to
#if HAVE_VORBIS < 2

After this change audiocd encoded the songs in my wished bitrate.
I don't know wheather the changes are valid, so I have no patch. Maybe someone
should look at it. The produced ogg files seem to be valid and play fine.
However ogginfo gives the warning: EOS not set on stream 1

There are two other points:

1. audiocd searches for liblame at runtime only in /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib
and not in the directory given to the configure script. For one year I have
been wondering why I could not encode mp3, although liblame was in my home
directory.

2. The kdemultimedia configure script does not search for includes and
libraries given in the environment variables LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS like the
other scripts.

Christoph.

BTW audiocd needs some cleanup.