List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Waste of space in konqueror's sidebar
From:       Christoph Bartoschek <bartoschek () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-08-29 20:56:31

Hi,

I've got a 17" CRT which runs with 1024x768. That's not much and one has
to use given space rationally. So much the worse nearly all KDE
Applications waste in the default configuration screen space with
vertically wide menu bars, big icons, ... .

There was only one thing I liked in windows before XP more than in KDE.
The work area in Windows Explorer, Word or Excel was much bigger than
in Konqueror, KWord or KSpread. Of course you can configure a lot of
things smaller, but thats exhausting. The size of the work area has a
intense influence on the effectiveness of the work.

Now to my subject:

Konquerors sidebar is per default unusable, if you don't work in
maximized or fullscreen mode, because the work area is too small. From
the third directory level on you have to scroll horizontally. There are
two reasons one should consider:

I. rootIsDecorated is set true.
II. treeStepSize has a value of 20.

1. rootIsDecorated should be set false. It is only needed by modules
like Network or Services. But these can get a root node like History or
Bookmarks. Given this modification Network or Services loose nothing,
but all other modules gain a lot of space.

2. You should consider treeStepSize of 15 or less. I've compiled
konqueror with 15 and it is enough.

With both modifications I've gained three more directory depth levels
without a horizontal scroll bar.

I've changed kdebase/konqueror/sidebar/trees/konq_sidebartree.cpp.
true got false in KonqSidebarTree::clearTree() and the constructor got a
setTreeStepSize(15);

Maybe setTreeStepSize(false) has negative effects on higher resolutions,
but setRootIsDecorated is always favorably.

Regards

Christoph