List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: gcc 3.2 and objprelink
From:       Christian Lavoie <clavoie () bmed ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2002-08-25 21:24:05

On Sábado 24 Agosto 2002 20:21, Brett Blackham wrote:
> I know the web page says gcc 3.1 should work but I still have a bad taste
> in my mouth from trying gcc 3.0 so I wanted to ask if gcc 3.2 will also
> work before upgrading.

Well, I'm typing this from kde3.0.3 compiled with gcc3.2 on a Debian stable
system. It's running great, no crashes, no nothing. No artsd, though not
because of artsd problems: I just don't want sound at work, in a remote-X
situation, with no sound card on that workstation (or the X application
server) =)

> Does anyone know if it is even worth upgrading from
> gcc 2.95.3.

Yes. Better C++ support.

It doesn't change THAT much for KDE itself. It's just plain better altogether,
probably optimizes faster, and is supposed to be with a stable ABI.

> Is gcc 3.2 any faster?

Compilation itself is slower, and it's definately noticeable. I'd say half as
fast, and I'd advise you to use --enable-final on everything you can (whole
of KDE for example).

Do the applications run faster? Not sure. They appear to, but then again, I
went from KDE3.0.1-gcc-2.95-4 to KDE3.0.3-gcc-3.2 so part of the speedup
might just be KDE bugfixes. (Or a lesser load on the application server, for
that matter)

> Finally, what happend to objprelink?

Not sure. The plan is for gcc to do most of what objprelink was doing, but I
have no idea how far they got with that. Moreover, I seem to recall that you
don't need to give a ./configure parameter anymore, one just installs
objprelink and it should 'just work'. Can anyone confirm?

> I saw something about newer linkers not needing it because they did a good
> enough job on there own.  What version of ld should I use to get the best
> performance and not need objprelink?

Whatever comes with 3.2, hopefully.

> Great work on KDE 3.1.  KDE is really coming along nicely.

Quite true! =)

Have fun,
Chris
--
Maybe computer science ought to be taught in the School of Philosophy

Christian Lavoie, clavoie@bmed.mcgill.ca
http://www.christianlavoie.com