List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: gcc 3.2 and objprelink
From:       Sean McGlynn <sean () tmiau ! com>
Date:       2002-08-25 22:57:32

On Sunday 25 August 2002 22:24, Christian Lavoie wrote:
> > I saw something about newer linkers not needing it because they did a
> > good enough job on there own.  What version of ld should I use to get the
> > best performance and not need objprelink?
>
> Whatever comes with 3.2, hopefully.

Hello :-)

binutils doesn't come with GCC directly (although I think you can add it to
the sources and build it at the same time).

You need binutils 2.12 or 2.13 for the combreloc stuff that obviates the need
for objprelink-ing. There's not much difference between the two so don't
bother upgrading to 2.13 if you've already got 2.12.
'ld -version' is your friend :-)

There's some info on combreloc/objprelink at the objprelink site
http://objprelink.sourceforge.net/

Binutils home page is either http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/ (which
still has 2.12 as the current version) or http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/
(which mentions 2.13)

There's an interesting Linux From Scratch hint at
http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/combreloc.txt
which details a simple script front-end to ld that ensures everything linked
gets passed the '-z combreloc' flag.

There's also a very simple patch which can be applied to the ld sources
themselves to the same effect (just change one variable from 'false' to
'true'). That's also mentioned over at LFS
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-dev/2002/07/0094.html

To be perfectly honest, I haven't tried any of this stuff yet myself, (but I
will be doing so next week), so don't blame mean if the above blows up your
computer :-)
If anyone out there has already been through the loop, I'd appreciate more
details as well please.

P.S. Don't forget to google on 'combreloc' for more info.

Cheers,
Sean
--
Sean McGlynn