List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail usability with IMAP
From:       Thorsten Schnebeck <thorsten.schnebeck () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-08-01 10:25:57

On Thursday 01 August 2002 02:22, Till Krech wrote:
> ...but takes a great portion of my disk at work which is completely stupid
> because the mails are stored twice - on the imap server and on my C:\ . Do
> not only think internet with a modem but also intranet. There, it doesn't
> matter to fetch the bodies again. IMAP is no post office, it's a central
> email storage.

Yes and I don't have any problems using KMail at work and at home on a desktop
PC via flatrate. Imap support is fast and it works. I am very thankful for
the current state. Maybe the handling of big attachments could be something
smarter.  But I notice the difference when I use KMail on a notebook with a
temporary internet account. Then its quite annoying that there is no decent
offline caching-mode for imap. I will try the hint with a local imap proxy on
the notebook.

Another problems are the filter. Yes, I know the KMail-FAQ but we need
auto-filtering e.g. for interaction with korganizer. So when there are no
standards for server side filter, let's make our own standard e.g. procmail
or we can do client side filtering. But then it is possible to setup cross
filtering: client 1 filters all mails from folder A to B, client 2 on the
same imap account filters as mails from B to A. So with the server is
permanently swapping mail from A to B and vice versa. Maybe its a solution to
put the imap filter rules for all KMail clients in a common folder on the
imap server(?).

And cause we are in these noisy OT wishlist thread ;-): Searching in the whole
mail archive including mail bodies is also deeply missed.

> And please don't take outlook as an example of a good mail program.
> We can do it much better :)

!!!_FULLACK_!!! :-) (Still dreaming of a "KMessage" with Pop3, Imap, SMS,
News, Fax and a _separate_ KOrganizer, cause in todays world the answer of an
email can be a SMS and we need the structures to archive the threading of
these mixed types of dialogs.)

Bye

  Thorsten