List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail usability with IMAP
From:       Zack Rusin <zack () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-01 1:04:16

On Wednesday 31 July 2002 20:22, Till Krech wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 July 2002 22:24, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > On Tuesday 30 July 2002 17:47, Randy Pearson wrote:
> > > KMail's behavior is correct.  If you to download the entire
> > > message contents for offline viewing, you should switch to the
> > > POP protocol instead.
> >
> > KMail is correct, but there's no spec at all prohibiting local
> > caching after having read a mail at least once (or even before, for
> > that matter). Outlook does it, and it works well.
>
> ...but takes a great portion of my disk at work which is completely
> stupid because the mails are stored twice - on the imap server and on
> my C:\ . Do not only think internet with a modem but also intranet.
> There, it doesn't matter to fetch the bodies again. IMAP is no post
> office, it's a central email storage.
> Please, if you implement this, then make it an 'advanced' option.
> And please don't take outlook as an example of a good mail program.
> We can do it much better :)

This has nothing to do with Outlook or any other MUA. This feature is a
fairly common feature request and this is why I'm going to implement
it. It could/would _never_ be the default behavior, simply because it
would go against RFC2060. But RFC2060 clearly states:
"IMAP4rev1 also provides the capability for an offline
client to resynchronize with the server (see also [IMAP-DISC])."
which is exactly what's going to be implemented (for a complete
discussion see:
http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/rfc/draft-ietf-imap-disc-01.html )
I'm planning on adding an "Advanced" tab to our IMAP account dialog and
add option "Cache messages locally" (and move "Show hidden folders" in
there just as well). Don't like, don't need it - don't use it; simple
enough.

Zack

--
Which is worse: Ignorance or Apathy?