List:       kde-devel
Subject:    unnecessary libs ?
From:       CP Hennessy <CP.Hennessy () iname ! com>
Date:       2002-07-31 23:41:43

Hi,
	While looking around the code for kicker I noticed that
libkonq.so is linked into kickermain.so but I think that it is
not necessary. When I removed libkonq from the Makefile.am
(see attched patch), I was able to run kicker, appletproxy and the
other applets with no problems, and even better the following
> time DISPLAY= appletproxy
seems to show that it saves 0.35 of a second !
(This is on a 700Mhz machine with 512 MB ).

Maybe there is something I don't understand about linking this
lib ?

Anyway this led me to look around at other apps and I have a few
questions :

1)	Other places where libkonq is linked is
	kdesktop.so, keditbookmarks.so, kicker.so
	but I think that for all 3 of them all they really need is
	the KBookmarkManager class ( and related Bookmark classes ).
	Linking with libkonq just for these classes is quite
	expensive for startup time (see above for appletproxy
	startup times) and memory consumed (sorry, no figures at
	hand but I have seem 3MB less *per* appletproxy at
	work );

2)	libkio.so also has libkdesu.so linked, but only the class
	KDEsuClient seems to be used. Is it worth moving
	KDEsuClient into libkio, to save the time for linking with
	libkdesu.so ?

Thanks for any answers,
CP