List:       kde-devel
Subject:    comment style
From:       Henry Miller <hank () black-hole ! com>
Date:       2002-07-31 22:57:39

I've been looking at kde source code (I'm out of work, and need to brush
up on my C++) and I've noticed that there are very few comments in the
code.   What comments I've seen tend to be obvious like:

// The next 4 functions update statistics
where the next 4 functions are statUpdateX() statUpdateY...

Is this just because other programs are like me, lazy about comments, or
is there some philisophical reason there are none.  While the code is
generally very readable, I always worry that I'm missing something
subtile.

Perhaps I should put it this way: if/when I submit a patch should I put
excess comments in it?   Is there a prefered way to document code that
I'm missing?  Or is the belief in self-documenting code so strong that
comments are discouraged?

--
Henry Miller       hank@black-hole.com