List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: porting from kde 1.x to 3.x
From:       David Bishop <tech () bishop ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2002-07-31 22:13:53

On Wednesday 31 July 2002 10:01 am, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 July 2002 17:11, David Bishop wrote:
> > 1. The documentation of KStandardDirs seems to be incomplete*.  Twice
> > they reference "locate()" and "locateLocal()", and even have links, but
> > the links point to nowhere.
>
> API docs problems - we're switching to doxygen anyway.
> Open kstandarddirs.h for now, look at the bottom.

Ah. No problem.  In the meantime, Kevin and Stephan got me going.

> > 2.  I *think* that this might be obsoleted completely, but again, the
> > docs don't state :-)
>
> Yes saving menubar/toolbar stuff is obsolete.
> If this was for session management, just get rid of it.
> If this was for "reopening as it was the last time", use
> KMainWindow::setAutoSaveSettings(), and get rid of it too ;)
> Keep the recent files stuff, though - well, unless you port it to
> KRecentFilesAction ;-)

Well, apparently the Recent File stuff never was completed (there's no such
menu item), so I won't worry too much about trashing the whole thing B-)

> Big port: use KToolbarAction or whatever it's called.
> Small port: toolBar->hide() / ->show().
> The question is how to get hold of the toobar.
> Is this within some toolbar class ?
> Or is this about the main toolbar ?
> Does it use XMLGUI already?
> I lack some context to be able to help, here.

Well, right now I am getting crashes from my previous attempt at a "big port",
so I'm somewhat leery of making any real changes.  And I was about to say
that your suggestion didn't work (toolBar->hide()) when I realized what the
compiler error meant, and changed that to toolBar()->hide().  Remember: this
is very close to Greek to me :-)

> > Well, thanks all around, and if I don't respond right away, its because
> > I'm closing on my house.  Anyone wanna throw about $100K my way? It shore
> > would be appreciated B-)
>
> You should be the one sending money, for all the help you get ;-)

Yes, I should.  And instead of doing something useful, I'm simply making it
easier for potential coders to waste time playing arcade games.  I should be
dragged out into the street and shot. B-)

Speaking of which, KMame (KMamerun is too unwieldy) is now up and running,
with only a few buglets and one crasher left.  Expect to see a source release
within a few days (I'm attempting to contact the original author right now,
so we'll see how that pans out).

And finally, I think that it is a great testimony to KDE and QT in general,
that a complete newbie programmer, with a little help from some demigods (Hi,
David, Rob, and Aaron!), can port a 6KLoc program across two major versions,
in three days (working very-parttime).  *wipes tears* You guys rock!

- --
A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in.
  --Kim Alm, a.s.r