List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail usability with IMAP
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2002-07-30 19:46:24

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 19:56, Unai Garro wrote:
> What's the point of downloading a 2MB e-mail every time you need to read
> it? That's crap, to be honest. IMAP has good things, but also quite bad
> things if the client is not ready enough.

I agree. IMAP was not designed to leave the e-mail data on servers
indefinitely, just the authorative header data. Obviously clients need to
fetch the data anyway if they want to access it. But IMAP does offer the
opportunity for clients to examine the headers before downloading all data.
so it only needs to be updated or retrieved when not in sync.

But what does KMail do? It totally ignores that feature and insists on
downloading every single bit of e-mail even when this is not necessary.

> Nope, I'm switching to mozilla definetely.

Will you consider switching back when we show more sanity?

It makes no sense to cache the IMAP header information client-side (which
KMail does) while not being able to cache the associated data. Sure, it is
nice that you can store it on the server and retrieve it indefinitely, but
that does not at all imply you do not want the data stored locally as well.

Since we already provide a mean to store the e-mail headers between instances,
it should not be too hard to store the e-mail bodies as well and add a check
only to retrieve them when necessary.

KMail developers: please reconsider this or show me the relevant parts of the
code so I can work on this myself.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
cap@capsi.com | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much