List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Will KDE 3.1 (final) work on RH 7.x ?
From:       Stephan Hermann <sh () kde-coder ! de>
Date:       2002-07-30 18:34:27

Hey Bero,

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 14:42, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> > when you're unhappy, that kde 3.0(.1|.2) binary packages aren't available
> > for RH, build your own packages. it's not quite difficult. with some
> > reading of the documentation about rpm and some reading of the
> > compilation faq on kde.org, you could do this in a few hours.
>
> And you can use the previous packages to start from.

Well, they're really difficult to read for a rpm beginner ;)

> There are 2 reasons why I'm not building them all the time:
> - lack of time (If you work the 110 hours/week shift, you don't have
>   a lot of spare time)
> - lack of access to boxes running older releases.
>
> Stuff I build on my machines wouldn't help - my workstation is always
> running current stuff, my machine at home is running something completely
> different.
>
> I can't use the official build system because it mustn't be used for
> anything other than packages that will be officially released by RH
> (upcoming release or errata).

Hmmmm....ask the italian stalion federico ,-) doesn't he have some boxes with
actual patched releases ? ,-) or michele ?

> > And if this is not satisfying you, please send some money (i think it's
> > more than 4500 EUR) to redhat to donate Beros work (this is the employee
> > of RH, who is packaging KDE in his "sparetime" ;))
>
> I think you're confusing EUR with DEM here. ;)

Oh no ;) but you're right, for me 1 EUR == 2 DEM ;)

> 750 a month will do - then I can quit my job and do everything KDE. ;)
> Not sure I'd keep boxes running stock RH to build binary packages on,
> though. ;)

Well, I can only help you, to build inoff. KDE packages for off. RH with off.
errata and bugfixes.

ReadU,

\sh

PS: how's than ?
PPS: do me a favour and greet all the other german RH stuff :) (the devels and
esp. crittern ;))

- --
St. Hermann, Troisdorf
One solution for a simple problem: A7 B4 C2 D5 E8 F1 G3 H6