List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: faster opaque drag
From:       James Young <marm () marm ! org ! uk>
Date:       2002-07-25 2:11:00

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 21:06, Martijn Klingens wrote:

> The XFree 3 might be the reason. IIRC dragging became much more jaggy
> since I moved to version 4 about a year or so ago. Hardware didn't
> change.

Try starting X with the undocumented -dumbSched option.

For instance, my /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers has this line:
:0 local@tty1 /etc/X11/X -dumbSched -nolisten tcp vt7

The internal scheduler for X changed between 3.x and 4.x and the new one
is a little faster for most things, but seems to have a nasty corner
case when dragging and especially resizing windows.  -dumbSched goes
back to the old XFree 3.x behaviour.

I hope Aviv's patch makes it in, opaque resizing/dragging behaviour is
currently really poor in KDE even with -dumbSched, it's one of the
first things users I've introduced to KDE notice.  It gives the
impression that KDE and X is really slow, even if it's actually only a
timing/sync problem.

If I pointed out that GTK 2.0 has put lots of effort into this problem
and (partially) solved it, would that make this patch more likely to go
in?  ;)

Looking forward to a multi-threaded X server with a thread per window...

--
marm