On Wednesday 24 July 2002 21:06, Martijn Klingens wrote: > The XFree 3 might be the reason. IIRC dragging became much more jaggy > since I moved to version 4 about a year or so ago. Hardware didn't > change. Try starting X with the undocumented -dumbSched option. For instance, my /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers has this line: :0 local@tty1 /etc/X11/X -dumbSched -nolisten tcp vt7 The internal scheduler for X changed between 3.x and 4.x and the new one=20 is a little faster for most things, but seems to have a nasty corner=20 case when dragging and especially resizing windows. -dumbSched goes=20 back to the old XFree 3.x behaviour. I hope Aviv's patch makes it in, opaque resizing/dragging behaviour is=20 currently really poor in KDE even with -dumbSched, it's one of the=20 first things users I've introduced to KDE notice. It gives the=20 impression that KDE and X is really slow, even if it's actually only a=20 timing/sync problem. If I pointed out that GTK 2.0 has put lots of effort into this problem=20 and (partially) solved it, would that make this patch more likely to go=20 in? ;) Looking forward to a multi-threaded X server with a thread per window... --=20 marm >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<